Monday, November 5, 2012

Vegan Mexican Couscous w/ Corn Tortilla

---> Why Plant Based<---

A new recipe invented in my kitchen the other night..

We have a whole new food journey ahead of us and this was recipe one.

The kids and I are going partial plant food based diet (vegan-ish) and Craig is going full plant based for health reasons.

I know have an entirely new challenge ahead of me!

For never cooking this way in such a strict manner(think no meat, dairy, limited added oils, no refined sugars), I think recipe one turned out extremely well.

We didn't choke it down; the meal was actually enjoyed. Score one!

Vegan Mexican Couscous

1 cup Mediterranean couscous blend 
1 3/4 cups water
------------------------------------------
2 cups prepared brown rice
1 can black beans, drained
1 cup corn
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 green pepper, chopped
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
Salsa to desired consistency
salt and pepper to taste

If using Mediterranean couscous blend, prepare  by boiling the water, adding couscous, covering, and simmering on low for 17 minutes. Remove from stove and fluff with fork. Very similar to cooking rice. I don't have regular couscous so I don't know the water/time needed to cook that. 

Mix cooked couscous with rice in a large bowl. Add all remaining ingredients and combine VERY well. I added some salsa to the mix until it didn't feel dry. Top with chopped cilantro if desired. Serve hot as a dip for chips, wrapped in a tortilla as a burrito, or in a hard shell taco. We had ours with salsa and guacamole. 





Making Hard Shell Tacos, oil free

The coolest trick I used the other night was making my own taco shells out of our organic corn tortillas. Being Craig is staying away from oils, most all recipes are out as far as preparing corn tortillas. But, what I did, is dry heat each corn tortilla until soft and then drape over my oven racks like so, baking for 8ish minutes on 350. Perfect hard taco shells and no added oils! 
(photo off bing)




1 comment: