Monday, November 5, 2012

Spicy Sweet Potato Fries

I live in the Northwest. here, we have the best "fast food" joint in the nation. It's called BurgerVille. For so many, it's almost a cultish obsession. There isn't one where I live, but when we go to Vancouver, first stop: BurgerVille. It's just a given! One thing I miss about not having it nearby (although it's probably better for me in the long run) is not being able to eat unlimited sweet potato fries when they are in season. Such a weak spot for me!! 

But, well, it now appears I can actually fulfill that craving myself. 
Sweet Potato Fries. Slightly spicy with just enough sweet. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Addicting.
And...healthy! For real. 
Sweet potatoes are literally bursting with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants (goodbye wrinkles! ). Whole Food's considers them an ultimate health food. I mean, hey...any reason to make a favorite food seem more appealing is fine by me! 
Typically, we eat some form of dip with our fries but not with these! They are delish just plain. 



Spicy Sweet Potato Fries

3 sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon your choice of oil
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch (a must! they make the fries crispy!)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 450. Scrub potatoes but don't peel them. Slice into thin fries. The thinner, the better in my books. More crisp! 
Place in bowl. Add the oil, cornstarch, and seasonings. Toss to coat thoroughly. Place not touching on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 15 minutes. Turn. Bake another ten. Keep an eye on them as you don't want them to burn. If by this point they aren't crispy, turn your oven on broil and watch closely until the fries are crisped. 




No comments:

Post a Comment