Thursday, November 29, 2012

Quinoa Chili

This is some protein packed chili, folks! A winter staple, totally vegan when sprinkled with daiya or vegan sour cream, and can be easily made for all ya'll meat eaters! Just add a pound of seasoned browned beef to the mix. So yum. I love the texture quinoa adds and hey, I'm down with my kids getting as much protein as possible. This stuff freezes and reheats well. I tried today ;-).
Also, I gave quotients for canned beans, but I actually use frozen beans. Beans are among the easiest things to preserve and I will post a tutorial soon! 

Quinoa Chili

1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 sweet onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, cubed super tiny
3/4 tsp turmeric
2 tsp cumin
4 bay leaves
pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg
1 tablespoon chili powder (or more to taste!)
1 can (15oz) tomato sauce
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can white or pinto beans, rinsed
1 sweet potato, cubed super tiny
4 cups vegetable stock

Heat the oil on medium in a large pot. Add the onion and put the lid on the pot. Let the onions sweat/ get translucent. Add the garlic and carrots and a dash of salt. Put the lid back on and let sweat another couple minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, covered, stirring on occasion. Remove bay leaves and season to taste. I added a bit more salt and chili powder. Yum!!


No comments:

Post a Comment