Monday, November 5, 2012

Vegan Lentil Burgers/ Kale Guac Salad


I won't lie. 
Five years ago if you presented me with a recipe for Lentil Burgers I probably would have gagged a little bit and told you you were something of a health freak.
Well.
Now, I'm the something of a health freak on occasion. 
And you are probably the same way I was. Looking at this recipe like..."Right. Lentil Burgers. I'm sure they are just deeeeeelicious...not!" I mean everything about these just screams extremest! Not that there is anything wrong with extremest. I just have never been one and had many preconceived notions currently being torn down about said types of people.
And today, yes today, I became one of those. I made Lentil Burgers. Made them, served them, and nobody puked them up. Avoni gagged, but that's ok. Slowly, she will learn to try new things ;-) 
Craig? He said it was THE best Plant Based meal I have made yet. I blushed..and giggled..and kissed him a few times. 


I am posting the photo from the website I got them from. Their photo is way better than mine. Daylight savings...gets dark way before dinner and well, no more natural lighting! 

These guys served with the following salad and some Spicy Sweet Potato Fries is like an ultimate meal. 





Vegan Lentil Burgers (original recipe post)
1 1/2 cups water to use for:
1/2 cup lentils, rinsed and drained

2 cups water to use with:
1 cup brown rice

2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 red bell peppers, seeded, deveined, and diced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
Whole-grain flour
8 whole-grain buns
INSTRUCTIONS:

In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Add the
lentils, reduce the heat, and cook until beans are softened, about 15
minutes. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, in another medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a
boil, add the rice, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the rice
is just tender, about 40 minutes. Drain and set aside.

In a sauté pan, sauté the garlic, onion, and peppers until lightly browned.

In a large bowl, combine the lentils, rice, and vegetables. Add the
salt and chili powder and mix well. Add a bit of flour to hold the
mixture together, if needed. Form into burger-sized patties and place
on a parchment lined baking sheet or press into a loaf pan.

Bake burgers on 350 until slightly firm, about 15 minutes.





Kale Guacamole and Lime Salad


Kale
Guacamole
a good squirt of lime

Simple! Wash, dry, and shred kale. Place in a decent sized bowl. With your hands, mix some prepared guacamole into the kale until it's the right taste ratio for your liking. Drizzle with lime juice. Mix again. It's pretty much a add and taste until it's how you like it deal. Let me tell you, though...guacamole paired with the slightly spicy kale is amazing, not to mention the zing lime gives it! 





Best served on Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Buns, loaded with lettuce, vegan provolone, guacamole, and tomato! 


No comments:

Post a Comment