Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Yogurt

I love yogurt. My kids love yogurt. Craig loves yogurt. And it gets spendy to buy!
Especially when it's a main ingredient in our morning smoothies.
So, I figured, why not make it myself? If some factory can make it, then so can I!
This is my favorite recipe because you do it in the crock pot and it's never ever failed me.


Ever.


Crock Pot Yogurt

8 cups good quality milk (fresh cow milk is best =) )
1/2 cup plain yogurt with live and active cultures
1 packet gelatin if you want thick yogurt (I prefer thinner beings we blend it)

Turn your crock on low and add the milk. Cover and cook for 2 1/2 hours. Unplug, do not remove lid, and let sit 3 hours.
After three hours have passed, scoop out 2 cups of the warm milk and whisk with the 1/2 c plain yogurt. If you want thicker yogurt, now is the time to fully whisk in the gelatin.

Put the lid back on the crock, wrap in a heavy, thick bath towel or blanket to insulate, and let sit 8 hours or overnight.

After the 8 hours, you'll have yogurt.

I start this process at 3:30 and by 9, it's ready to be "tucked in" for the night. In the morning, I wake to fresh yogurt!

Now. On to the fun part.

Begin with 4 cups of  your fresh, home-made yogurt.

Add 1/2 cup blueberries (or more!) and a whole banana (or two)

Blend all together and add a dash of vanilla. If you want to sweeten it, use agave, maple syrup, evaporated cane juice, etc. I used Stevia.

Pour into a loaf pan and freeze, stirring every hour or so until it resembles frozen yogurt.

And, once it's all frozen, look at what amazingness you get to enjoy!


Seriously. Divine.


Our favorite blend in's are
Mango+Blueberries
Strawberry+Banana
Peach+Mango
Blueberries+Honey
Raspberry+Orange Concentrate

No comments:

Post a Comment