Thursday, September 30, 2010

English Muffin Bread

I really like English muffins. Like...really like them. I go to the Farmer's Market every single Friday to get my favorite English muffins from my favorite seller who's name I don't even know. And then, it dawned on me. What if...just what if I made my very own?? So recipe hunting began. And...this is the one that won out. By far. It's bread! BUT....tastes just like an English muffin. It is absolutely divine toasted with some strawberry jam and a coffee. Wow! And SUPER...super...easy. Try it! You won't regret it.

English Muffin Bread

2 cups milk
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons cornmeal
6 cups bread flour
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Warm the milk and water in a small saucepan until very warm. Lightly grease two 8x4 inch loaf pans; sprinkle cornmeal inside pans.

In a large bowl, mix together 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and soda. Stir milk into the flour mixture; beat well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, until a stiff batter is formed. Spoon batter into prepared pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place for until nearly doubled in size, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment