Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pita Pockets

I was at my sister in laws yesterday and she showed me a book she got from the library. It was a book all about the art of bread making. Upon opening it, I knew I was sunk. I was going to be sitting there for an hour or more writing recipes..I just knew it! And, was I ever right. She got me paper and a pencil and copy away I did!
This may not be the quickest or easiest recipe but it's worth it!
I'm sure my second time around it will be more streamlined, but regardless, the end product was delicious and a family pleaser.



Wheat Pita Bread

2 tsp yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water

3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons wheat flour
2 3/4 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 425.
Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup of the warm water. Let rest 5 minutes. Mix flour and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the flour/salt and dump in yeast and remaining warm water. Stir to combine and hand knead for 15 minutes, gradually working in the olive oil. Put into oiled bowl, cover, and raise 1 1/2 hours. Punch down and let rest 10 minutes. Divide into 8 equal portions and shape into smooth balls. Roll into 9 inch oval, 1/4 inch thick. Cover on table with a towel and rest 20 minutes. Dust 3 pants with flour and heat pans in the oven for 5 minutes in oven. Put rolled out pitas on hot pans and bake 6-10 minutes or until puffy. Don't let overbrown. Place baked pitas on towel and cover with another towel until fully cooled. Cut in half and split.  Store in refrigerator.

This is my best friend. It's my Bosch Stone wheat grinder. It hooks right on top my Bosch mixer and grinds 1 cup a minute. Wooo!

 Add some wheat berries to the top...
 And after a bit of time..you get flour! No lie. It's that easy.


Here's the nappy barely combined dough..
 After 15 minutes of hand kneading, look how beautiful!
 Formed into 8 (not very symmetrical) balls
 Baked and cooled Pitas!

No comments:

Post a Comment