Monday, September 27, 2010

10 Grain Muffins

My kids would eat muffins all day if I let them..and some days I do. Craig loves having them in the freezer as a quick snack to grab, too. I wanted to find a really healthy version I knew I could feel good giving them and when I found Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Hot Cereal, I knew it would do the trick. I'll use the entire bag, making a triple batch when I do. Add any kind of berries, dried or frozen, to make this recipe your own!
I make mini ones for the kids.
The 10 grain cereal should be available at most any store, Wal*Mart included. Image below.



Ten Grain Muffins (with raspberry, blueberry, and marionberry added) 

1 egg
1/2 c evaporated cane juice (or raw honey, pure maple syrup, raw agave, etc.)
1/3 c butter
1 c flour (I do half whole wheat, half unbleached white)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup ten grain cereal
1 1/4c buttermilk
1 cup frozen berries

Mix 10 Grain Cereal and milk; allow to stand for 10 minutes while preheating oven and assembling other ingredients; cream sweetener, butter, and egg together. Add dry ingredients and milk mixture. Stir only until mixed. Spoon into greased or lined muffin pan. Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes. Makes 12 regular sized muffins.

In this batch, I added cranberries and white chocolate chips. A delicious combination!!

No comments:

Post a Comment