Sunday, January 2, 2011

(Re)Fried Rice

We got a Wok for Christmas. 
So what else does one make to test out a Wok but fried rice?! I'm kinda picky about my rice. I don't like it soggy and it has to have flavor. That and a lot of bean sprouts. I love bean sprouts. Taking advantage of a slow weekend, Craig and I invented this (re)fried rice recipe. I say (re) because we fried it, froze it, and re-fried it. SO delish. Way, way better refried then just fried.

It is essential to make the rice days in advance. I actually made mine a week before we made this. Granted, it was supposed to sit only a day or two, but Vienna made her appearance early (that's a whole 'nother blog post!), so it sat for a week. Perfect!!

The trick to really good fried rice is to have your wok super, piping hot, and fry as fast as you can (max 30 seconds) in small portions (like 2 cups at a time). We did the re-frying part in 1 tablespoons sesame oil per batch of 2 cups.  

(Re)Fried Rice
1 tsp olive oil
1 egg, beat
8 strips bacon, cut into small squares
8 green onions, chopped
3 cups left over rice (I used long grain white)
2 cups bean sprouts
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cooked chicken breast, chopped small


Heat oil in wok and fry beaten egg. Transfer to plate and chop finely. Add bacon to wok and cook thoroughly. (I added another whole bunch of green onions to this process because I love the flavor and it made everything that much better.) Remove to paper towel covered plate, and drain drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons. Then put rice, chicken. chopped green onion, bacon, bean sprouts, peas, soy sauce, and chopped egg into your wok with the 2 tbsp bacon drippings. Fry until heated through. 

Now. You can serve it as is or...
We spread it all super thin on cookie sheets and froze. Then we transferred the rice into individual containers to re-fry (YUM!) or microwave at a later date. It was SO MUCH better refried, in my opinion. We made a triple batch of this stuff and that will serve us all at least three meals. Super good!!



No comments:

Post a Comment