Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Lactation Cookies

I just had a baby. Cool, huh?! She's beyond beautiful and an amazing nurser. See, I've always had problems nursing. I had low supply and I gave up after two weeks with Aerro. Avoni, I nursed her 13 months, but the first two months were not so cool. She wasn't gaining weight right and it was because of supply issues again. This time around? Not. A. Single. Problem. Vienna is gaining weight and is the happiest, most satisfied baby I've ever had! One thing I know...diet plays a big role in helping those with supply issues. There are a few foods in life that can really help with nursing. Oats, brewers yeast, flax meal, whole grains, and molasses are a few. Well, here's a cookie that contains all of those ingredients! They actually taste pretty good, too. Even the kiddos love them! They make a pretty decent breakfast when eaten with a giant cup of coffee...and a water, of course. Pound that water when nursing!!


Lactation Cookies
1/2 cup flax meal
 *water*

1 cup butter
1 cup evaporated cane juice (or sugar)
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 Tbsp molasses
1/3 cup cocoa
2 cups flour (I used fresh ground wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cups oats
1 cup chocolate chips, raisins, whatever 
4 Tbsp brewers yeast

Mix just enough water with flax meal until wet thoroughly. Set aside. Beat butter and sugars until creamed well. Add eggs, vanilla, molasses, and cocoa. Mix well. Add flax meal and mix again. Slowly add the remaining ingredients. Drop by tablespoons full onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake on 350 for 12 minutes. Cool.




And, just because, I present Miss Vienna Ruth-Marie, born Christmas Eve.  
My darling third child.
And my second Princess. 

 

1 comment:

  1. congratulations! She is beautiful and I love her name:)
    I will be saving this recipe for sure. I love breakfast cookies and have been on the lookout for a recipe.

    ReplyDelete