Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tamale Pie

I really don't know why this is called Tamale Pie. It tastes nothing like tamales. At all. I'd call it something like a Mexican chili type enchilada dish. But that's just me and my poetic-ness coming through. =)

This recipe was in an old Taste of Home magazine I found. One thing a body can do on bedrest is look through scores of magazines. That is, of course, if you can block out the complete disaster happening around you that you are completely unable to control....But thankfully now I am no longer bed-resting it. Now, I'm on to doing all the stuff I dreamed up and planned while just sitting! Yay!
This recipe was one of those "things". Make SURE sure sure sure sure you use a realllly good enchilada sauce. OR...salsa! SUPER yummy! 
Did I mention this cooks in the crock pot?! My favorite invention ever....=D

Tamale Pie, slow cooker style

1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups black beans, cooked
2 large tomatoes, chopped finely
4 tablespoons green chillies
1 cup corn
1 1/4 cups enchilada sauce or salsa (salsa is better)
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
2 eggs
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
Sour cream and additional minced fresh cilantro

In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cumin, salt, chili powder and pepper. Put in crock pot; stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce (salsa), onions, and cilantro. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
In a small bowl, combine muffin mix and eggs; spoon over meat mixture. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream and additional cilantro if desired


 P.S.
Even if it looks gross in photos, it's really not. This stuff doesn't photograph well at night when there is zero natural lighting. I don't have cool photographer lights to make everything bright and cheerful =)


No comments:

Post a Comment