Friday, November 18, 2011

Grandma's Breakfast Cookies

As a kid, I remember sneaking into the freezer and opening a super icy cookie tin to sneak one of the BEST healthy cookies known to man. Whether I did it at home or at my Grandma's, it was no different. Always in the freezer. Always in a tin. They're so good, my grandma actually makes them as gifts! Every birthday, my dad gets his own tin. And woe unto the child who sneaks into HIS cookie tin. No way. 
So, you can imagine my excitement to get the actual recipe. I thought it was a secret or something! Now, I did a few things different because I didn't have all the "right" stuff, but it made no difference. They are fabulous! Substitutions in italic parentheses.



Grandma's Breakfast Cookies


1 cup softened butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup raw sugar (I used pure cane syrup)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup each, sesame seed, flax seed, sunflower seed, chopped
1 cup each, raisins and cranberries (cover with boiling water for about 10 minutes, reserve 1 cup liquid)
1 cup walnuts (I used 1 c raw mixed nuts, chopped super fine..pumpkin-walnut-cashew-pecan-almond)
3 3/4 cup whole wheat or spelt flour
6 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 Tablespoon salt
1/2 Tablespoon baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp each, cloves and nutmeg

Put raisins and cranberries in 2 cup measuring cup, add boiling water to cover and let sit while you do rest. (Save water, about 1 cup)
Beat together butter and sugars until light. Add eggs and vanilla, beat well. Combine flour, soda, salt and spices, add to mixture with raisins (with the 1 cup water from raisins), seeds, walnuts and mix well. Add oatmeal, mix well. Drop onto lightly greased cookie sheet, press down with fork dipped in water. Bake at 375* 12 minutes.
 
 The absolute best frozen with peanut butter and a hot cup of coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment