Sunday, October 17, 2010

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Orange Bread


In my quest to make all kinds of bread, I knew a swirled bread had to be next. I have fabulous memories of fall and winter-time, eating cinnamon swirl bread with eggnog for breakfast. It was tradition in our house! But could I make a swirled bread?? 
My first attempt didn't work so well. I took the loaf out of the pan too early and it flopped. But, not to be dissuaded, I tried again. (By the way, I cut up the flopped loaf, dried it in cubes, and lets just say I'll be posting a recipe for bread pudding real soon!!)
This time, it turned out perfect!! Woohoo for success!!!

The orange in this bread gives it such a nice....zing. I like the word zing when associated with citrus. It just fits. =)

Cinnamon Orange Bread
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup warm milk
3/4 cups orange juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1 tablespoon fresh grated orange peel
1 1/2 tsp salt
6 1/4 cups flour (at least half whole wheat)
1 egg, lightly beaten
Filling
1/2 cup raw cane sugar
2 tsp cinnamon (Saigon Cinnamon is the best!!!)
2 tsp butter

Glaze
1/4 cup powdered sugar
3 tsp orange juice
1/2 tsp orange peel, grated fresh


 Dissolve yeast in water. In a mixing bowl, combine milk, orange juice, sugar, shortening, peel and salt. Add 2 cups flour, yeast mixture and egg; mix well. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
Punch dough down and divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each half into rectangle. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over rectangle that has been spread lightly with butter. Roll up and seal edges. Place with sealed edge down in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise about 1 hour. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in pans. Combine glaze ingredients; spread over loaves.
Photos =)



The Final Product!! So beautiful~


I can't wait to make this into french toast tomorrow! If it's delicious fresh and divine toasted, can you imagine what it'll be like as french toast? I believe I'll be making an orange syrup tomorrow morning to top it off..!

No comments:

Post a Comment