Friday, April 15, 2011

My Favorite Bread

I've been making bread now for about 6 months. Before that time, I was scared of yeast. And making bread. I've no clue why, really..just heard that yeast was tricky to work with etc etc..yeah, well, I don't believe that anymore. Yeast is no more terrifying than flour or daisies in my books. =) I can make bread. And I can make it good. That is a fact that I'm proud of because I never ever, ever thought I would be able to make decent bread never mind good bread!
This is my go-to recipe when I need never fail bread. And by never fail, I mean it has never failed me. I make 3 loaves a week and have yet to have it flop once. That's pretty cool in my books!!  I've only made it with freshly ground flour so no guarantees it'll turn out of you don't use whole wheat flour!! 


5-6 cups hot water (hot to the touch;not hot enough to burn finger)
2/3 c. oil
2/3 c. honey
2 tbsp yeast
2 tbsp salt
12-16 cups freshly milled whole wheat flour

Pour warm water into mixing bowl. Add approximately 6 cups flour on top of liquid. Then add oil, honey, and yeast.  Mix well. Add approx. 5 additional cups flour, and salt. Mix while adding flour 1/4 cup at a time until the dough pulls away cleanly from the sides of the bowl.  Continue kneading for another 5 minutes. Put in oiled bowl and cover. Let raise until doubled in size. Punch down and divide dough into 4 equal portions and shape into loaves. Put into well greased pans. Let rise till double in size. Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack. Rub tops with butter.


1 comment:

  1. mmm mmmm mmmmmmm! love homemade bread. when Ezra was the baby I made bread once a week and then one day I quit. No idea why because it was soo easy!

    ReplyDelete