Friday, April 15, 2011

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

In celebration of what I hope is the last rainy day in a long time (or so the weather says), I made soup. That and because I made bread today, what better to eat it with then soup?!
A few days ago, I asked my husband to get me a crown of broccoli. He came home with four. Four large crowns. I mean huge. What on earth was I gonna do with that much broccoli?? 
Well. I had skads of pre shredded cheese leftover, too, from making breakfast burritos yesterday so I put the two together and came up with this divine soup.
I think sharp cheddar is best for soups. Especially when the soup IS a cheese soup...sharp cheddar just gives such a nice bite. So, without further ado, here is the recipe!!


Broccoli Cheese Soup

4 cups small broccoli pieces
Enough chicken broth to cover broccoli
3 1/2 cups milk whole milk
1/2 cup flour
3 cups shredded cheese
3 tablespoons chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped onion, sauteed tender or 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
1 cup finely diced potatoes, cooked (my canned garden potatoes came in handy here!!)
1/2 tsp lawrys seasoning salt
salt and pepper to taste

Put broccoli in small pot and cover with just enough chicken broth that the broccoli is submerged. Boil on medium until broccoli is tender. Meanwhile, in large pot, warm milk on med-high. Whisk in flour and simmer gently, whisking constantly, until thick; about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in cheese until melted. Add rest of ingredients, minus broccoli, and stir well. Remove 1/3 cup broth from broccoli and discard. Pour rest of broccoli/broth into pot and heat through. Serve immediately. 



No comments:

Post a Comment