Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Black Bean Soup

Phew, it feels so good to be back to healthy eating after all the holiday celebrations! Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy my fair share of sugar and stuff, but I also like getting back into the swing of normal living...

I have been wanting to make this soup for awhile now and just gave it a go yesterday. It tasted like super authentic Mexican, not a fast food style, and I think it would be superb with shredded cheese and sour cream on top! The original recipe said to blend half of it and return to pot...I skipped this step and it was just as fabulous.

You know what else would make this recipe incredible? 4 oz of cream cheese stirred into the pot before serving. Try it. I bet you'll agree. ;-)

For the beans, I used my recipe. I make a big batch of it, drain all the broth out, and freeze in a single layer on a cookie sheet where I then transfer to freezer bags so I always have seasoned black beans on hand. If you don't feel like doing all of this, just buy 2 cans of seasoned black beans. 


Black Bean Soup

3 cups prepared Authentic Black Beans
1 cup (or can) pinto beans (or any kind of bean, really..I just like to mix it up)
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
2-3 tsp minced garlic
3 tsp chili powder (more to taste)
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp basil and oregano
2 tsp brown sugar
2 bay leaves
salt+ cayenne pepper to taste
oil of choice

1 batch of short grain brown rice, prepared
Guacamole (best ever recipe!)
(optional) Sour cream, cilantro, shredded cheese, tortilla chips

Put a dash of oil in a pot and saute onion until tender. Add garlic and cook about a minute more. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on medium for about 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Trust me, you don't want to blend these guys into your soup! If you want, blend half of the soup recipe to thicken it up a bit. Return to pot, stir, and serve with some rice, guac, cilantro, sour cream, etc. 

We all agreed that it tasted even better the next day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment