Saturday, July 9, 2011

Farmer's Market Friday: Cherry Cola Pulled Pork

So, you know how my blog is called A Little Healthier? Let's just emphasize on the "little" part of it for this post. =)

I went to the Market specifically for cherries this week. When they're in season, mmmm, who can resist? Bings, in my opinion are a bit more of a pie cherry. A little more tart and hearty. Rainier cherries seem to be a bit more sweet. Mix the two and you have a winning combination!

I had heard of cherry cola pulled pork from a cooking competition but had a hard time finding an actual recipe I thought would be good so I kinda mixed and matched what I could find online hoping to make something that would work. 

Using the crock pot works best with this recipe, I think. That way you have extra time in your day to, well, you know, rescue stranded, un-named husbands who get pulled over for expired license and escape tow trucks attempting to haul off work trucks and stuff. Yep. Crock pots rock for those type of situations. =) 


How gorgeous are these cherries anyway?! at $3 a lb they are quite the steal! 



My favorite onion ever. They make any recipe better..!






Cherry Cola Pulled Pork

3lb pork roast (I was told Boston butt cut is best for pulled pork)
1 tsp salt & pepper each, mixed
1 20oz bottle cherry cola
1/2 cup cherry preserves (they had some @ the market, too! just my luck)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 dried chili pepper, crushed or 1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 onion (I used walla walla) chopped finely
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups chopped cherries

Rub pork roast with the salt and pepper. Place in crock pot. in a bowl, mix remaining ingredients well and pour over top of roast. Cook on low for about 5 hours, rotating roast halfway through if so desired. Remove from pot and shred well. Add enough liquid from the crock pot to make desired consistency. I used almost all the liquid, but I like my pulled pork super moist! Serve however! We put ours on whole grain flatbread with mozzarella cheese. This recipe went over quite well with the family!




No comments:

Post a Comment