Monday, December 3, 2012

Butternut Squash

Butternut Squash is a fall favorite that is excellent in pasta, dips, soups, and surprisingly, makes an awesome butternut apple butter to spread on toast! It can also be used in place of oil in muffins or cakes. Ever had pumpkin squash muffins with a maple glaze? So yum!

 I got a bulk order in from Azure this past month and have been putting off preserving them for a long time. I don't know why, though, because roasting and freezing them is super simple! Here's a quick photo tutorial on preserving butternut squash. 


First, halve the squash and scoop out the seeds.


Place face down in a pan filled with 1/4 inch water and bake on 375 for about a half hour, 45mins until squash is tender



Let cool and scoop out flesh into bags or containers. I did one squash per bag. I also didn't puree the squash as my kids mashed it in the bags after they were filled. 



My little helper, scooping out squash! I love her little vintage play dress. 


That's all! Now I have enough squash to get me through until next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment