Saturday, March 26, 2011

Chicken A 'la King

Chef George Greenwald of the Brighton Beach Hotel, created Chicken A 'la King in 1890s. He was an excellent cook and liked to prepare new dishes for his favorite customers. One summer afternoon, he prepared a special chicken dish for Mr. and Mrs. E. Clarke King and served it for supper. Mr. King thought it was wonderful and told Greenwald to put it on the menu. Chef Greenwald added to the menu and called it Chicken a 'la King after Mr. King. 

Well, I remember my mother making us Chicken A 'la King when we were kids. She hasn't made it in AGES but I called her yesterday knowing I had skads of chicken left over from the previous night's dinner and I really wanted to reminisce my childhood with one of my favorite foods!

Hearty, warm, cozy home cooked meals. Mmmm

Although, to hear it from Aerro, this meal will make you sick and you. will. die. if you eat it. At least he will. We had all the theatrics. Gagging, shuddering, shying away from the spoon, fake puking, the whole nine yards. At no extra cost! Being the mean, terrible mother I am, (ehem, sarcasm) I made him take two whole bites. And then he had leftover pizza. 

Avoni, on the other hand, ate two biscuits worth! Not bad for the peanut she is! 

I served it over cornmeal biscuits from the night before but my mom always served it over puff pastry shells. Yummy! So, without further ado, here is Chicken A 'la King.   

Chicken A 'la King 

2 cups chicken stock or broth
3 tablespoons cornstarch
8oz cream cheese
1 can evaporated milk
3 cups cooked chicken
4 tablespoons green onions
1/2 cup cooked peas, carrots, cubed potatoes
1 tsp pimentos (optional)
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, sage

In medium sized pot, bubble chicken broth and cornstarch for one minute. Add cream cheese and evaporated milk and slightly boil for 1 minute. Add chicken, green onions, and seasonings. Serve over biscuits, rice, puff pastry, whatever! 


No comments:

Post a Comment